Sunday, January 25, 2009

2 Corinthians 6:14

"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?"

I have a lot to say concerning a relationship between this verse and marriage, and might get to it later. So stay tuned.


... Okay, I'm back. Its 6:15. And now I have to remember exactly where I was going with this.

Alright, I remember now. Basically, I still desire much to become a pastor eventually. However, now is not the right time for me to start on that path, which I will show using 1 Timothy 3. Basically, it is a list of requirements for church overseers (your translation probably says "bishop," but the meaning of the Greek word episkopos is neither here nor there). I will go over this and eventually back into the main topic. "An overseer must be:"

Above reproach:

I would not say that I am truly above reproach. I try to live as sinlessly as I can, but I can always improve, through the grace of God.

Temperate:

I tend to get angry easily, but once again, prayer to God for improvement will fix this.

Respectable:

I'll allow it.

Hospitable:

I am gracious to guests and accommodating. So this is alright.

Able to teach:

I am a good teacher. If you want to learn something from me, I'm more than willing to teach.

Not given to drunkenness:

This isn't a problem for me.

Not violent, but gentle. Not quarrelsome:

Besides my quickness to anger, I am not particularly violent.

Not a lover of money:

The root of all evil? No. I only need enough money to provide a good life for my family and to provide for the education of my children.

HUSBAND OF BUT ONE WIFE:

A requirement to lead a church as an elder. I need to be married and to raise a family (he must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect). I MUST be married...

Which brings the main topic, 2 Cor. 6:14, up. This refers to Genesis 2:24, where man and life become one flesh. Both parts of the one should be pointed towards Christ, lest the "righteousness and wickedness" be yoked together in a terrible manner. Besides, can two walk together, unless they are agreed (Amos 3:3).

I must marry a Christian woman who truly accepts Jesus Christ as her lord and savior, and as the only path to salvation (Acts 4:12, Romans 10:9, John 14:6, lots of other verses.). She must understand that salvation is by grace alone, not works (Ephesians 2:8-9), and that Jesus was sacrificed once for all sins (Hebrews 9:28, 10:12). I feel weird setting requirements for my wife, but so that I will be above reproach, I must have a believer as a spouse.

God's plan has set aside a woman for me who, being a complement to me, will form a single unit that provides a beacon of light, which to summon nonbelievers and the misinformed to Jesus with. I assume my life will be something like this: I go to college, get a degree, move somewhere that I can get a job, meet a woman in a church there, be married, enter seminary school, raise a family as a preacher, and be happy.

Thus I feel better than I did Tuesday. Post over.

5 comments:

Little Mary said...

ooo fun;-)!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

M William said...

Hello!

Isabella said...

I Just want to say that i think you'll be a great pastor someday- whenever you are called to it. You have a way with speaking and easily explain things and the fact that you know you feel called to it, but are not completly prepared for it, so your waiting till you are is awezome. As always- keep up the great work, i love reading everything! :-)

Kelli said...

I fail.